Friday, March 18, 2011

Am I Better than Others?

"I tell you, unless your righteousness 
exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, 
you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."
Matthew 5:20

Believe that others are better than you in the depths of their soul, although outwardly you may appear better than they. -- St. Augustine

But when a righteous man turns away from his righteousness and commits iniquity and does the same abominable things that the wicked man does, shall he live? None of the righteous deeds which he has done shall be remembered; for the treachery of which he is guilty and the sin he has committed, he shall die (Ezekiel 18:24).

Out of the depths I cry to thee, O LORD! Lord, hear my voice! Let thy ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications!

If thou, O LORD, shouldst mark iniquities, Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared. I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I hope; my soul waits for the LORD more than watchmen for the morning, more than watchmen for the morning (Psalm 130:1-6).