Saturday, April 16, 2011

SAINT ALPHONSUS LIGUORI

True charity consists in doing good 
to those who do us evil, 
and in thus winning them over.

 
"Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." --Matthew 5:44


"Your Father who is in heaven makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. -- Matthew 5:45

"I forgave you all that debt because you besought me; and should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?" -- Matthew 18:32-33

"If you are offering your gift at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift." -- Matthew 5:23-24


Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him?

"I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven." -- Matthew 18:21-22

Father in heaven, I pray for all those who have persecuted me. May I finally be reconciled with them so that I may forever be free from this burden. Touch their hearts today as you have touched mine in order to bring about everlasting peace to all those who love you. We are all your children and as such, we should love one another as you have loved us through your son, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

In this season of lent, I choose to free myself from any imprisonment of the heart by invoking the power of forgiveness so that the light of love shall shine in me all the days of my life.

All these I lift up to you in prayer, in the mighty name of your son Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you now and forever. Amen.