Sunday, August 11, 2013

SAINT THOMAS AQUINAS


ACTS OF FAITH

The believer's act [of faith] does not terminate in the propositions, but in the realities [which they express]. (March 11, 2013-6:59AM ; April 11, 2013-6:55AM; August 11, 2013-8:23AM)

LIGHT
The certainty that the divine light gives is greater than that which the light of natural reason gives. (March 27, 2013-6:36AM, June 27, 2013 - 7:03 AM)

PRAYER PETITIONS

For prayer to be effective, our petitions should be for benefits worthily to be expected from God. -- St. Thomas Aquinas

Reflection:

It shall not be so among you; but whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be your slave; even as the Son of man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many" (Matthew 20:26-28).

"It is for those for whom it has been prepared by my Father." --Matthew 20:23

Thou hatest those who pay regard to vain idols; but I trust in the LORD (Psalm 31:6).

I trust in thee, O LORD, I say, "Thou art my God" (Psalm 31:14). Into thy hand I commit my spirit; thou hast redeemed me, O LORD, faithful God (Psalm 31:5).

Is evil a recompense for good? Yet they have dug a pit for my life. Remember how I stood before thee to speak good for them, to turn away thy wrath from them (Jeremiah 18:20).

Give heed to me, O LORD, and hearken to my plea (Jeremiah 18:19). My times are in thy hand; deliver me from the hand of my enemies and persecutors! (Psalm 31:15)

Let thy face shine on thy servant; save me in thy steadfast love! (Psalm 31:16)

SAINT THOMAS AQUINAS
DUMB OX

Saint Thomas Aquinas, O.P. (1225 – 7 March 1274), also Thomas of Aquin or Aquino, was an Italian Dominican priest, and an immensely influential philosopher and theologian in the tradition of scholasticism, within which he is also known as the "Dumb Ox", "Angelic Doctor", "Doctor Communis", and "Doctor Universalis". Aquinas" is the demonym of Aquino: Thomas came from one of the noblest families of the Kingdom of Naples, with the title of "counts of Aquino". He was the foremost classical proponent of natural theology, and the father of Thomism.

Thomas is held in the Roman Catholic Church to be the model teacher for those studying for the priesthood, and indeed the highest expression of both natural reason and speculative theology. The works for which he is best-known are the Summa theologiae and the Summa Contra Gentiles. One of the 35 Doctors of the Church, he is considered the Church's greatest theologian and philosopher. Pope Benedict XV declared: "This (Dominican) Order ... acquired new luster when the Church declared the teaching of Thomas to be her own and that Doctor, honored with the special praises of the Pontiffs, the master and patron of Catholic schools."[7] -- Wikipedia

Published: 3/23/11-6:06AM; 1/28/13-7:11AM; 6/27/13-7:04AM